Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Cranial mononeuropathy III - compression type

Definition

Cranial mononeuropathy III is a problem with the function of the third cranial nerve, which is located behind the eye.

Alternative Names

Third cranial nerve palsy; Oculomotor palsy; Pupil-involving third cranial nerve palsy

Causes

Cranial mononeuropathy III - compression type is a mononeuropathy, which means that only one nerve is affected. It affects the third cranial (oculomotor) nerve, one of the cranial nerves that controls eye movement. Local tumors or swelling can press down on and damage the nerve.



Causes may include:

  • Brain aneurysms
  • Disorders such as mononeuritis multiplex
  • Infections
  • Poorly formed blood vessels (vascular malformations)
  • Sinus thrombosis
  • Tissue damage from loss of blood flow (infarction)
  • Trauma (from head injury or caused accidentally during surgery)
  • Tumors or other lesions (especially tumors at the base of the brain and pituitary gland)

Rarely, people with migraine headaches may have a temporary problem with the oculomotor nerve. This is probably due to a spasm of the blood vessels. In some cases, no cause can be found.

Symptoms

Other symptoms may occur if the cause is a tumor or trauma. Decreasing consciousness is a serious sign, because it could indicate brain damage or death.

Exams and Tests

An eye examination may show:

  • Enlarged (dilated) pupil of the affected eye
  • Eye movement abnormalities
  • Eyes that are not aligned (dysconjugate gaze)

A complete medical and nervous system (neurological) examination can show whether any other parts of the body are affected.

Other tests may include:

Treatment

Some cases may get better without treatment. Treating the cause (if it can be found) may relieve the symptoms in many cases.

Treatment may include:

  • Corticosteroid medications to reduce swelling and relieve pressure on the nerve
  • Surgery to treat eyelid drooping or eyes that are not aligned
  • Wearing an eye patch or prisms

Outlook (Prognosis)

Some cranial nerve dysfunctions will respond to treatment. A few cases result in some permanent loss of function. If the problem is caused by brain swelling due to a tumor or stroke, those conditions may be life-threatening.

Possible Complications

  • Permanent eyelid drooping
  • Permanent vision changes

When to Contact a Medical Professional

Call the local emergency number (such as 911) or go to the emergency room if you have:

  • Double vision
  • No feeling in or control over parts of your body
  • Signs of changed consciousness
  • Unusual headache

Prevention

Quickly treating disorders that could press down on the nerve may reduce the risk of developing cranial mononeuropathy III.

6 comments:

  1. God bless Dr.Ekpiku for his marvelous work in my life, my name is Joyce Benson from Denver, I was diagnosed of HERPES since 2013 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr Ekpiku how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine through UPS delivery company. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 11 days later i tested negative for HERPES, Dr.Ekpiku truly you are great, do you need his help also? Why don't you contact him through email (ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@gmail.com) or call him on +2348073673757 and you can also contact me to know more about him on my email Joycebenson731@gmail.com or text me +16506538578. DOCTOR Ekpiku CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:- 1. HIV/AIDS 2. HERPES 3. CANCER 4. ALS 5. Hepatitis B AND C 6. Diabetes 7. Athrux, 8. hydrophobia 9.hpv 10 pregnancy spell and bring back your ex back 11 scabies 12. STD.

    ReplyDelete

  2. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid, Dercum,fibromyalgia,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILLIS,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease.Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Epilepsy, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Fatal Familial Insomnia ,Dupuytren's disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid...

    ReplyDelete
  4. All thanks to God Almighty.... I will forever be greatful for my friend kaila who gave me the information that there's a cure to all kinds of sickness and her mum had been cured from the cancer that had affected her for 7 years. I wouldn't believed it,till contacted the great herbalist, Dr odey abang whom she gave me his contact,after some hours i contacted the great herbalist,who cured me from my herpes simplex virus but no cure...its really a bad sickness and we know the shame it its been a herpes patient. I'm here cos I have been in pains of the same sickness... I want you all reading this and have been infected with any virus such as: diabetes,kidney stone, herpes simplex virus(HSV), HIV/AIDS, cancer etc should please contact this herbalist,he cures all kids of sickness with his natura herbs.. And his herbs are very good cos it also boost my immune and with no site effects.....100% cure

    Odeyabangherbalhome@gmail.com

    Its the final solution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello everyone .I want to quickly drop my life stories on how a
    specialize-healer called DR ODIAGBE cure me from HPV .A great man who have the root and herbs to all kind of deadly disease.i was infected with HPV disease for A year now. My life has never been the same ever since, i keep hoping for a cure becuase i know HPV can be cured, The whole story changed
    when i contacted DR ODIAGBE I saw his email on you- tube by a
    patient he have cure from herpes which drop the email and
    phone contact of him, so i contacted him and in few days of communication he sent me his herbal remedy which i took for couple of weeks (2) to my greatest surprise i was free again after a whole year of HPV positive. I really thank God for getting me in touch with DR ODIAGBE same time i Appreciate DR ODIAGBE for sending me his herbs...
    I will recommend DR ODIAGBE power therapy for you to any diseases.
    Contact via E-MAIL (drodiagbeherbalspellhome@gmail.com) or for easy
    communication you can WhatSAPP him via his mobile number
    +2348103553159 Below are some of the illness i know he can cure: Cancer, HIV, Low sperm count Barrenness, Herpes, Genital Wart. So friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can email ( drodiagbeherbalspellhome@gmail.com ) CALL OR WHATSAPP +2348103553159

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of hpv as soon as i feel the symptoms of hpv is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr onokun for natural treatment it works wonders, amazingly ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these horrible disease anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this horrible disease. every hpv or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr to get ride of these disease forever his email address;
    dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete